The Complete SCR Guide in 2022
- What is Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and how does SCR work?
- Where can you buy AdBlue for Euro 4, Euro 5 and Euro 6 SCR vehicles?
- Which AdBlue packaging should you purchase?
- Which is the best AdBlue brand in Singapore?
- What’s the recommended engine oil for Euro 4, Euro 5 and Euro 6 SCR vehicles?
What is the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) System and how does SCR work?
SCR is an after-exhaust treatment system which functions to reduce the NOx level present in the diesel vehicle exhaust. The SCR system utilises AdBlue solution to react with the NOx to render them harmless.
AdBlue is a 32.5% urea solution injected into the vehicle’s exhaust pipe as you drive, kick-starting a process called Selective Catalytic Reduction, or SCR in short. SCR ensures a significant pollution reduction as it converts harmful nitrogen oxides (NOx) into nitrogen, water vapour and carbon dioxide. After the conversion, these harmless particles are then released from the exhaust.
High temperature inside the diesel engine causes the Nitrogen in the intake air to form Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). As it is a harmful gas that can negatively impact our respiratory system and the environment. Therefore controlling the level of NOx emitted from the vehicles’ exhaust has never been more crucial. To ensure that these standards are met, diesel vehicle manufacturers then integrate SCR systems into diesel vehicles to regulate their NOx emission more effectively. Such diesel vehicles would indicate that they meet EURO 4, EURO 5 and/or EURO 6 emission standards. Many countries have joined the bandwagon to mandate the use of diesel vehicles of EURO 4, EURO 5 and/or EURO 6 emission standards.
Where can I buy AdBlue for my Euro 4, Euro 5 and Euro 6 SCR Vehicles?
AdBlue is available in various areas in Singapore with different packaging. Please visit this Where to Buy page to find out more about the exact locations.
Which AdBlue packaging should you purchase?
There are a few general rules to guide you on choosing which AdBlue packaging:
- AVOID buying drums. Usually, due to mishandling, unwanted components such as dirt, engine oil, diesel and even grease can go into the AdBlue tank and damage the SCR system.
- If you have less than 8 units of Class 4 or 5 SCR diesel vehicles, it is time to change to the 1000 litres IBC Tank to save costs. It’s also more environmentally friendly as it does not use any single use plastic jerry Can.
- If your management likes to monitor the inventory, 10 litres and 20 litres packaging will be the best way to do it. When the tank is low on AdBlue, 20 litres will usually top it up completely. The downside if of course the use of single use plastic jerry can.
Why AdBlue plastic packaging (jerry can) cannot be reused?
AdBlue is a very pure product with very minimal impurities. Impurities are monitored at parts per million. The empty jerry can will be contaminated when it is used for other uses such as vehicle wash chemical, lubricants, waste water for washing, etc. When the jerry can is reused, the contaminants will enter the SCR system and damage the system. This is also why you should always keep the AdBlue tank area clean and tidy.
My vehicle’s AdBlue tank cap is missing, do I need to replace it?
AdBlue is a very pure product with very minimal impurities. Impurities are monitored at parts per million. The SCR System is very sensitive to dirt, dust and contaminants. If your vehicle’s AdBlue tank cap is missing you should quickly find a replacement. Meanwhile, you’ll need to cover the AdBlue tank inlet to prevent dust, dirt and contaminants from entering the AdBlue Tank.
Which is the best AdBlue brand in Singapore?
There is no best brand for AdBlue in the market. However, from what can be observed, most of the vehicle dealers opt for the brand AceRev AdBlue. The rest is up for you to decide.
What’s the recommended engine oil for Euro 4, Euro 5 and Euro 6 SCR vehicles?
The key is to look at the diesel vehicle’s service manual. The manual will indicate the engine oil specifications that fits your SCR Vehicle.
Some common terms you should see are:
- API: CI4, CI4+, CJ4
- JASO DH-1
- Volvo VDS-3
- MAN 3275
- Cummins 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078
With these terms, counter-check with the engine oil specifications for a more accurate match. Alternatively, you can visit Diesel Engine Oil to find more options on the types of engine oil that suit your vehicle the best.